Friday, April 15, 2011

What I will be making next (5/1) The Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)!

Some of you may remember that a facial cleanser was the first product I made (you can CLICK HERE, HERE, and HERE for a memory jog if you'd like)! Neither of those cleansers really did it for me. I mean they worked, but the fennel seed cleanser took a little more time to make than I like, heaven forbid I spend more than 5 minutes on a product :), and the green tea toner got ruled out because... well... it turns your skin green.


So I have been left in search of another facial cleanser. My Husband and I have sampled a slew of different organic facial cleansers but we never end up buying the same one twice because we haven't found "the one" yet. I absolutely DREAD washing my face because my skin gets soooo incredibly dry after. If I don't wear any make-up I will go as many days as possible without washing just to avoid the inevitable alligator face that follows. Luckily, now that Coconut Oil is a part of my life, I can at least treat the dryness between washings... but then it hit me, what if I could find some kind of cleanser that wouldn't make my face look like the desert floor? *Don't stop reading if you have oily skin, this applies to you too!!!*


Image from: thankgodimnatural.wordpress.com

That's when I discovered this: http://simplemom.net/oil-cleansing-method/ basically, you use essential oils to cleanse your skin. If you are prone to moderately, or extremely oily skin this is for you too!!!



This (below) is taken DIRECTLY from simplemom.net (and the link above)


Alright, it might sound a little odd to clean your face with an oil, especially if you have oily skin. But contrary to popular belief, oil does not cause oily skin or acne. That culprit is usually a combination of hormones, trapped bacteria, and dirt.


Like your hair, the sebum that the skin secretes is actually good for your skin — it’s there to protect it from the outside environment, and to keep harmful things from seeping in. Since water doesn’t break up oil, most commercial cleansers are marketed with the “oil free” stamp of approval, making them easy to splash off.
When skin’s natural oils are removed, the body’s reaction is to compensate by producing more oil, much like shampoo does with our hair. Or if your skin is dry, it’s because all the oil has been stripped away, and your body doesn’t compensate by replenishing it (that was my case).
Here’s a direct quote from acne.org:
Oil dissolves oil. One of the most basic principals of chemistry is that “like dissolves like.” The best way to desolve a non-polar solvent like sebum/oil, is by using another non-polar solvent similar in composition: other oils. By using the right oils, you can cleanse your pores of dirt and bacteria naturally, gently and effectively, while replacing the dirty oil with beneficial ones extracted from natural botanicals, vegetables and fruit that heal, protect and nourish your skin. When done properly and consistently, the OCM can clear the skin from issues like oily skin, dry skin, sensitive skin, blackheads, whiteheads and other problems caused by mild to moderate acne–while leaving your skin healthy, balanced and properly moisturized.”
So in essence, good-quality oil is the perfect substance for cleaning sensitive skin, such as on our face, because it helps gently remove the dirty oil and replaces it with good, nourishing, healing oil.
So are you convinced yet? Either way, I will be trying this starting 5/1!!

Like what you see? "Subscribe via e-mail" in the top right corner to receive updates when a new post is added! Never more than 1 e-mail a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment