Sunday, February 13, 2011

What I will be making next... Hair wash!

CLICK HERE to view where I got the recipe, and detailed descriptions about why they recommend staying away from traditional shampoos. She also explains why you should use these ingredients, and answers questions about why it may not be working for you right away.

Here are the basic ingredients/instructions :


Use one tablespoon of baking soda per one cup of warm or hot water. You can double or triple the recipe if you have very, very long or thick hair. But do not use more baking soda, your hair will become hard, dry or feel brittle if you use too much. You can put this mix in a recycled shampoo bottle, and apply to your hair with warm water.

The mix should not feel gritty, and should be a liquid. If you have very short or thick hair, you may find it easier to make a paste with a tablespoon of baking soda (or less) and sprinkle it over very wet hair and massage in. Otherwise, spray or pour the mixture onto your hair and work it in. Let it sit about a minute, and then rinse. I personally find it easiest to make a liquidy paste in the palm of my hand with about half a tablespoon, and then sprinkle and massage into dripping wet hair. I have very short hair, so I use less. Experiment and see what works best for you, there are no official rules.


For a typical rinse, make up a solution of one to two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) per cup of water. Apply to wet hair, massage into scalp and rinse off with cold water. Please note, you don't always have to apply a rinse with every wash! I personally find I only need to do a rinse every 2-3 washes.




From what I gather, this is a two-part wash. I am not sure if you are supposed to use it as a substitute for shampoo AND conditioner, or just shampoo? If anyone has any insight on this before I make and use this product (starting 3/1/11) please let me know! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment