Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Making the All Purpose Cleaner

So my labels may not be the cutest thing, but a cheap all purpose cleaner is precious :)

CLICK HERE to see the list of ingredients/instructions (by the way 1/2 gallon=8 cups)

Parts and Price:
Well, because the recipe called for ingredients I already had on hand (vinegar and baking soda), I cannot say the exact price. However, I think it is safe to say it is a $5-$7 product to make.

The Process:
Just add the 3 parts together and yippee! you have a cleaner! The one suggestion I would make would be to half the recipe (unless you currently have a spray bottle that can hold 8 cups of cleaner). I ended up mixing the ingredients in a large bowl, then separating into 3 small spray bottles that I had on hand and one cleaner I previously purchased that was nearly out (so 4 bottles total). Even after that I had to dump about 1 cup down the sink. It was a little gratifying watching my $5 cleaner pour into a bottle of cleaner that had cost me almost $20. Hopefully it works just as well! I was also pleasantly surprised at the bubbling and fizzing that took place upon mixing the vinegar and baking soda. I immediately wanted to call my Chemistry teacher (the only class I've ever failed) asking her to rethink my grade.

Complaints:
None here! Just be careful with the vinegar, it could smell like an early Easter if you accidentally spill.

Compliments:
Inexpensive, easily accessible ingredients, easy to make, nice clear color, no real smell.

Performance:
No comments yet, I considered mopping my kitchen floor with the extra product, but with one flick of the wrist I dumped it down the sink and wished I had more motivation. I am looking forward to using it and hoping it lives up to its name!

No comments:

Post a Comment