Saturday, January 8, 2011

Virgin Coconut Oil... the secret to beauty?

A close family member recently opened our eyes to the world of virgin coconut oil. She had the best kind of facts to back up her case (personal use and proof!) The discussion of coconut oil proves, once again, that the earth is always one step ahead of any cosmetic company's beauty products! 


Here is what she has to say about her, and her family (of 8!)'s use:


"We started using virgin coconut oil sometime last summer. I didn't know at the time that it was not only used for cooking but for the hair and skin as well. I was looking for a natural alternative to body lotions and face creams. I met a couple who were vegans and I thought there skin looked great and they told me they used coconut oil all over the body, and for me seeing was believing. 

Coconut oil is known for being anti-viral and antibacterial which can have huge benefits for people with skin problems. Since using it on the face daily my face doesn't seem as dry as before and I don't worry about possible harmful products on the skin. My hands used to have more age spots and most have disappeared.

It has a high concentration of saturated fat which has given it a bad rap in the past but coconut oil is unique in its structural make. It is rich in medium chain fatty acids which helps increase metabolism and is more easily digested than fats in other oils. Lauric acid which is good for maintaining and building the immune system is also found in coconut oil. Coconut oil has the highest concentration of lauric acid other than mother's milk. I have heard you should try to consume 3 to 3.5 tablespoons a day in your cooking, smoothies or by itself.
  
If you want the whole family to use coconut oil I would suggest purchasing it in bulk for Tropical Traditions. It's amazing how fast my family can go through small jar from the grocery store."

-Angela Baldwin

Needless to say, it's inspiring and motivating to continue to search for products that are products of the Earth, and not of a mega-million dollar cosmetic company with mega-million marketing funds. It seems as though I am finding that the best products for health, beauty, and home, are those that have no one to market for them! 

Thank you so much to my Aunt for her help in broadening my personal knowledge of natural health, and for the time she took to share her experience!

Want more info? Click the links below to read more!




Have you used, or are you going to try using Coconut Oil after reading this? Share your experience! 

Questions/comments/concerns? Comment below or e-mail me at naturallynourishing@gmail.com


2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love coconut oil!
    We use it in our smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! Do you apply any externally?

    ReplyDelete